Tuesday, November 27, 2012

To Floss or Not To Floss


I do not believe Shakespeare ever contemplated that question but I do think that many of us think about it regularly…especially just before
and just after a dental checkup appointment.

There is no question that for most people flossing all of their teeth regularly, in addition to effective tooth brushing (we love our
Sonicares), will provide healthy teeth and gums for many years to come. But many people find flossing difficult and avoid it.Some people floss only when something is stuck between their teeth. Others floss only the (front) teeth that they can reach.

Many studies have demonstrated the correlation between gum disease and heart disease as well as other medical issues. Therefore, to live longer,floss … or clean the bacteria and debris effectively from between your teeth and gums.

We have many patients with healthy teeth and gums who do not
floss. Water piks, interproximal brushes, Perio-Protect and soft pics are some of the things we use.

Now there is another tool in our toolbox. Airflosser!
 Airflosser uses a microburst of air and water to remove
plaque, the biofilm between teeth.

I did a six week test where I did not floss at all! I still used my Sonicare toothbrush religiously and substituted the Airflosser twice a day. I found the Airflosser to be very easy to use and very quick ... less than a minute. At times I added a mouthwash to the Airflosser reservoir so I could taste and feel where the Airflosser reached.
Then the test results. I became a patient and had my gums checked. The results were the same for me as when I flossed regularly. A healthy result; healthy gums.

So, to floss or not to floss? Flossing is still the gold standard for most
people but there is no question that the Airflosser for me was as effective as
floss with the added benefit of being easier and quicker than floss.
The bottom line is for optimum dental, cardiac, and general health
we need to floss daily. If you don’t care to floss then, by all means, use the
Airflosser, Water-pik, etc. Either way you’ll be making a healthier you.


Call our office about more details or to inquire about getting one in your hands.
Who knows what other fun things an Airflosser can be used for?

Carl E Steinberg, DDS, MAGD

215-735-8844

No comments:

Post a Comment